I love the fact that there are so many uplifting, happy things that you can put your heart into during the mornings. So today, I thought I would write down a list of things that you can do to bring you more joy in the mornings.
Hopefully you will find a few things that resonate with you that you can start incorporating into your mornings too.
How To Create Your Own Mindful Morning
- Each morning, ask yourself how you are feeling and what you want to create for yourself during the day. What feelings do you want to bring and cultivate today? Try this simple ritual that I do every morning.
- And from this, simply pick 1 to 2 things from the sections below that aligns with your feelings this morning. The key is about honouring yourself in this moment and making these rituals your own, exploring what flows the best. Download The Mindful Morning Weekly Planner to help get you started!
- Gradually add these into your morning routine and notice how you feel after 2 weeks. Experiment, play, be curious with what works for you!
For more tips, check out our Start Here page for other Mindful Morning articles!
I want to look after my body
- Sleep. Allow yourself to rest a little longer so your body can recuperate if you are feeling under the weather or energetically deprived. Read more about why sleep is so important here.
- Moisturise - its 's important to keep our skin hydrated throughout the day! I use coconut oil for keeping my skin soft and moisturised. The vitamin E in coconut oil also helps repair skin tissue.
- Remember to floss. This is somewhat of a reminder to me as well. Flossing and good dental hygiene is super important!
- Dry body brush to stimulate your lymphatic system and remove dead skin.
- Do some stretches on the bed before you get up!
- For people with a trampoline - you can do this and catch an episode of your favourite tv show before heading out the door.
- Do some yoga. This is great as you get out of bed. It allows you to get in touch with any aches and pains that you may have. It also brings energy and vitality into your morning.
- Another option is to head over to the first gym or yoga class for the day and sweat it out!
I want to be amongst nature
- Go for a walk or run outside. I love the brisk morning air and an early morning walk can be absolutely invigorating! Enjoying nature before anyone else does is simply blissful.
- Tend to your plants - I water my plants in the morning. It's a good time to look after your plants so that you prepare them for the weather ahead.
- If you live near the beach - go for a walk on the sand and feel the sunlight on your shoulders!
- Watch the sunrise - love this!! For early risers only!
- Take the time to ride or walk to work instead of catching public transport or driving - if appropriate. Take a more scenic route and enjoy nature as everything is waking up.
I want to nourish my soul
- Prepare a cup of tea - using your favourite tea cup. Sit down and enjoy it, don't let it get cold!
- Or, for those who love coffee - make yourself a beautiful pot of roasted coffee. Enjoy the smell and the energy it brings you.
- Prepare a nourishing, warming breakfast that you have not made before. Try my Spiced Vanilla Quinoa Porridge recipe for something a bit different.
- Have breakfast in bed. Make a really beautiful breakfast and eat it in bed. It's your little treat to yourself!
- Make some warm water with a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar or a wedge of lemon to start your digestive system in the morning. It will make you feel uplifted!
- Make a green smoothie - perhaps even make enough so that you an take some to work. Check out Simple Green Smoothies for recipes!
- Juice. Make a wonderfully bright jug of juice to wake you up.
- Prepare a healthy, nutritious lunch to take to work. It's so much more meaningful to have your own lunch rather than purchasing something and eating it in a rush.
- If you live near a market - you can do a spot of shopping before starting your day. Feel the vibrant liveliness and buzz of the markets in the morning.
I want to feel connected
- Greet your partner, family members or your pets with a big hug.
- Make breakfast for someone you love today.
- Spend a short, designated amount of time catching up on some emails.
- Skype chat with a loved one! I often catch up with my mum in the mornings.
- Take your dog for a walk. One of my favourite things is getting woken up by a pet. I just love their joyful faces and enthusiasm to greet their owners in the morning. Spend time with your animal friends!
- Leave a cute note for a partner, family member or loved one wishing them a happy day!
- Meet a friend for a coffee or tea before work starts.
I want to have some fun
- Just for a bit of fun, check your horoscopes to see what the day may bring!
- Put on some music. I put on music when I am doing my yoga because it makes me happy and lifts my energy. But I also enjoy popping on a record whilst making my tea.
- Go to your angel cards - see what the day holds for you.
- Sing in the shower.
- Take time to choose a perfume or essential oil that resonates with how you are feeling for the day.
- On a morning where you don't have to work - go out for brunch and let the morning blur into the day. Take it super slow!
I want to release my creativity
- Do some visualisation - sit for a few minutes and focus on each thought that comes into your mind. Observe it and see where it takes you. Allow yourself to be immersed into your own world without judgement.
- Write or draw. There is no reason why we can not do our hobbies in the mornings before work. I love using this time to write on my blog. Allowing myself about 30 minutes to get everything in my head onto paper. Read more about my mindful morning rituals here!
- Pick out your clothes - get creative, channel how you want to feel for the day and choose colours to let this shine through.
- Watch a Ted talk. Get inspired!
- Choose a book or podcast for your ride to work on the train, tram or bus. Where are you going to escape to during your commute this morning?
- Take a photo of your morning, capturing a brief moment in your day visually - try this every morning for 4 months and see how things have changed over time.
I want to be inspired and energised
- Wake up earlier to seize the day. Read more about the joys of waking up early here!
- Create an affirmation or intention to start your day. Read about how I create intentions here.
- Find one word that brings out the feeling that you want to bring into your day. Add it to your reminders so it comes up every few hours.
- Have a look back at your vision board - see what you have achieved and add anything else to it.
- Make a list of things you are grateful for - set a positive perspective for your day.
I seek calm, clarity and stillness
- Spend a few minutes with your thoughts - ask yourself what sets your soul on fire, what are you afraid of, what is your purpose. Continue peeling back the layers with the question "why" and tap into our intuition.
- Meditate - if only for a few minutes - allow your mind to quiet and embrace the stillness. This can mean just sitting in stillness. Read about my chakra visualisation meditation here.
- Journal - get out all your thoughts, cleansing out negative energy before you start the day. It provides you with clarity. Danielle Laporte has a beautiful diary that will help you really get clear with your core desired feelings! (affiliate link)
- Take time to read the newspaper - do it in the old fashioned way, wear your slippers, put on your night gown and do the crossword while sipping a cup of tea.
- Stay offline. Don't connect online with social media until later in the day - keep this time as your time only!
- Do some deep breathing - for 5 minutes just before you leave your room in the morning.
50 Ways To Make Your Morning Brighter Printable
Here is a free printable that you can Pin to your Pinterest board or print out to keep as a reminder.
I loved putting this list together. I hope it brings you something brighter to look forward to other than rushing to work in the mornings.